10 Questions with Stephen Vano
February 2, 2017
We are beginning a series of regular interviews with members of our congregation. Taking a cue from Inside the Actor's Studio with James Lipton we are asking 10 questions that will help us learn about and from one another. Our guest this month is Stephen Vano, choir member and husband of our rector, Mary.
1. What is your favorite word and why? “Music” because it represents my life’s work and passion.
2. What is your least favorite word and why? “Apathy or Apathetic” – showing no interest, enthusiasm or concern. If I’m using this word to describe my students, then I’m having a bad day.
3. What makes you alive? Singing…especially with a choir.
4. What gets in your way? Time…(never enough)
5. What is your favorite hymn or spiritual song? Very difficult question for me…Depends on the season: I love “Once In Royal David’s City” during Christmas and “This Joyful Eastertide” during Easter. Favorite Choral piece: “B-minor mass” by J.S. Bach
6. What helps you experience God? I experience God through music, the ritual of worship and the shared experience of a community of believers.
7. What makes it hard for you to experience God? Negativity and Apathy from others…
8. What profession other than yours would you like to attempt? Composer
9. What is your favorite book or movie? Movie: “Shawshank Redemption”
10. Where do you see God's kingdom coming into the world? In the church…through our children and our unconditional love for them.